Wednesday 23 June 2010

A Little Red Slip and a Big Blue Envelope

Every time I've walked into the mail room (yes, twice a day...), I've looked at the pile of packages, wondering if there were any new ones, if one of them could possibly be mine. I would open my mail box, hoping for the little red slip that would say I had a package, sighing in disappointment when there was nothing there.

This afternoon, there was a little red slip.

I felt myself get light headed as he pulled the package out from under the desk. I anxiously waited for him to find the book I had to sign, and, completely ignoring the elevator, I raced up the five flights of stairs to my flat. I quickly unloaded my backpack, taking deep breathes, putting things away until I could focus on the package. Ripping open the DHL packaging, I carefully pulled the contents out.

Finally, it was here. In my hands. The big blue envelope I've been hoping, praying, waiting for all of this time.


I opened the flap, and right in front was the paper that would satisfy all of my curiosity (it really did feel like Christmas morning):


Yes, that's right! I'm going to Ukraine to be a University English Teacher!!! I almost started to cry when I saw those words, I was so happy. I leave September 17th, 2010, which means I have a grand total of 21 days at home before I'm off on my next grand adventure. Wow, that's going to be fun!

I am absolutely ecstatic! This placement lets me work toward both of my possible future careers: my job position will give me experience if I decide to get my PhD and become a University professor, while living in the Ukraine means the possibility of learning Russian, a language that will really help me if I decide to join the State Department. It's perfect. I am So Unbelievably Happy!

However, I'm still going to read through everything before calling and accepting. Even though I am BEYOND happy, I want to be completely informed before making such a huge decision. This basically means that my productivity is shot for the day because will you look at all the stuff they sent me:


Going to take some time to get through that. I'll let you know what I learn!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats from a fellow PC Ukraine invitee... I look forward to meeting you in September :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats but wait until staging, peace corps training, and all the peace corps sessions while you are a volunteer because you get a lot more paperwork. This is from a returned peace corps volunteer that served in Cape Verde, Africa from 2007 to 2009.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.