Tuesday 8 June 2010

That Explains It...

Got an e-mail back from Placement Office. And my oh my, how the ballgame has changed.

At my interview I had been told I was being nominated for a September departure. I am almost certain I had received a letter to this effect. Turns out I was nominated for a program that was leaving mid-July to mid-August.

Ahh...that's why they were so confused about me wanting to leave after September 1st...

I'm not sure how this happened. My master's program doesn't end until August 20th, so I wouldn't be able to leave before then, which I'm sure I had told my recruiter. My saving grace was that on my original application I had put my date of being available to depart as August 15th, which would mean a mid-July to mid-August departure wouldn't have been possible anyways. Someone, somwhere, mixed something up. I'm not sure how, but I guess it happens. Gotta roll with those punches.

I'm still being considered (thank God), but my region is more likely than not going to change since I'm now, basically, not attached to a program since I'm no longer a part of the one I was nominated for. She said she's considering me for departure in September to either Africa or Central Asia, or in October to the Pacific Islands or the Middle East. Basically I can be sent anywhere at any time after September 1st. God, I hope this confusion doesn't penalize me in any way...

There are a lot of emotions going through me right now, but mostly I just feel numb as questions run through my head. How did this happen? Where am I going? When am I going? What if they try to send me to Africa, the only place I said I wouldn't go at the request of my parents? What would I do?

She said she would be done reviewing my application by early August at the latest. So I have at worst two full months to wait and see what happens. Which is fine, I've been waiting so long already, what's a few more months? It'll all work out, I know it will. I really believe this is what I'm meant to do, and I'm sure it'll all work out and I'll go where I'm meant to be.

I guess I'm back to playing the waiting game, only this time it's much more interesting because when I receive my invitation, when I leave and where I go really will be a surprise. No more possible speculation, the entire world is a possibility. Which, you gotta admit, is kind of cool. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.